Thursday, November 18, 2004

Strategery: Unity

Jeffrey Feldman makes the point that Socioeconomic Progressives really do need to be good at making clear arguments to Antiauthoritarian Progressives -- not just about the one subject but about all subjects that have to do with our values and our agenda.


The other day I posted a diary speaking strongly against the use of Hitler references to characterize Bush and the GOP as fascists.  There was a range of opinions that came out in the comments--some people agreed with me, strongly, some didn't.  The debate smoldered for days, and it left many frayed nerves.

We were all progressives in that debate.  But lines seemed to be drawn between Antiauthoritarian and Civil Liberties progressives--with sincere concerns over the rise of Fascist politics in this country--and more Socioeconomic progressives who see more of a threat to the welfare state.  I think I fit fairly well into the Socioeconomic category, and plenty of like minded progressives supported my case.  But one thing I learned in that diary:  I'm not good at making my case to Antiauthoritarian and Civil Liberties progressives.  In fact, I was really bad at it.  It was a hard lesson, and it really threw me.

Being able to communicate with other progressives about our most basic values is important for at least two reasons: because we need to boil things down to a simple, unified message -- which really is possible -- and because if we can't even make our beliefs understood by other progressives, we'll have a hard time making our beliefs understood by other Americans.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home