Thursday, December 09, 2004

50-State Strategy

Because I know, as Howard Dean knows, that we should have won the last election by 40 points, I'm stirred when I heard his calls for a 50-state strategy. But.


But here's the thing: The GOP isn't a national party either.

Let's look at the facts. In the last four elections, the Republican nominee has won a grand total of one state in the Northeast or West Coast, when Bush squeezed out New Hampshire by 7000 votes in 2000. From and Reed, like many others, express shock that Democrats "write off" the South - but Republicans write off the Northeast and West Coast. They lament that Bush "won 202 electoral votes without lifting a finger" in states Kerry didn't bother to contest. But Kerry won 190 electoral votes without lifting a finger.

It's good, I think, to temper Dean's bluster a little bit.

Now, let's go beat John McCain by 10 points, and when the time comes Jenna by 40 points. Let's beat Jenna by 80 points. Because you know what I say about the Bush family. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, we won't get fooled again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home